Have you ever stumbled upon a problem where you wanted to watch a movie, a video tutorial, or a TV program, but you get the message that you come from a wrong country, and it is not possible? These are video region restrictions, which can be very frustrating. You are not planning anything illegal. You just happen to be in a “wrong” country. In this short tutorial, I show you how to unblock videos so that you can watch them.
If You’d Rather Make Money Than Watch TV… Why Not Try This? It’s FREE to get started, too. You’ll like that part…
Why not give a whirl right now? You’re certainly not committed to anything.
Problems With Watching Videos Online
A few years ago my family and I moved to Indonesia. There my wife wanted to continue watching her favorite TV program that she had watched back in home. In Indonesia, though, it was not possible. Why?
… Simple — Video region restrictions.
I found myself in a similar situation. I take Wealthy Affiliate online courses about Internet Marketing. These courses include many excellent video tutorials. These videos teach you a lot.
In Indonesia, though, I was couldn’t watch them anymore. Really bad news as these videos are part of the training. If I cannot watch them, I miss a great part of the training.
After learning that all Wealthy Affiliate videos were uploaded into vimeo.com, I discovered the secret to the problem. Namely, in May 2014 Indonesia had banned vimeo.com for allegedly containing pornography.
Now let me make it clear: I don’t want to watch porn! I want to watch Internet Marketing training tutorials. These too are banned. It is good that Indonesia is fighting against online pornography. The question is, how can I have access to my study materials?
So what do you do in this situation? After banning vimeo.com, the site looks like this:
Luckily, there are quite a few solutions to get around video region restrictions and unblock such videos. Some of those solutions cost you money while others are too complicated.
To solve similar problems, I show you one easy way to set up and use a proxy to watch videos.
How to Set Up a Proxy?
It takes just a few minutes to set it up if you follow the instructions below.
1. Use Firefox browser.
2. Install the FoxyProxy add-on. After the installation, you should see the small FoxyProxy icon next to the URL box. We need it soon.
3. Go to HMA proxy list page and scroll down until you see the title: „Free IP: Port Proxy List.“
4. Choose the country of your choice. The best option is to select the country where your desired video locates. For example, if the video sits on some US server, choose “United States”.
5. Deselect „Socks4/5“.
6. Hit „Update Results“.
7. Now scroll down until you see the current list of proxy servers for that particular country.
8. Choose a proxy that has good characteristics (both bars next to the country name should be blue). Also, you see it’s IP Address and the port number. We need them soon.
9. Now click on the FoxyProxy icon next to the browser’s URL box (see step #2). A new window, “FoxyProxy Standard” will open.
10. Click „Add New Proxy“. The FoxyProxy Settings Window will open.
11. Head back over to HMA page (see step #8) and copy the IP address of your selected proxy. Then head back to “FoxyProxy Settings” and paste it into the „Host or IP Address“ field.
12. Head back over to HMA page and copy the Port number of your selected proxy. Then head back to “FoxyProxy Settings” and paste it into the „Port“ field.
13. After that click „OK“. That’s it. Your proxy has been set up.
How to Use a Proxy?
1. To turn on the proxy, click on the FoxyProxy icon. It will open the „FoxyProxy Standard“ window.
2. From the „Select Mode:“ choose your newly created proxy (the IP address that you chose previously).
3. Hit „Close“ button. Now you should be able to stream.
4. To turn off proxy, click to FoxyProxy icon and hit „Completely disable FoxyProxy“ from the „Select Mode“. That’s it.
What Are Some of the Drawbacks?
There are three drawbacks of using a proxy that you should consider before starting to use it.
1. Using proxy services you make yourself highly vulnerable. All your back-and-forth traffic between your computer and the internet goes through another computer (the proxy). It means that the one who controls that proxy can see your usernames, passwords, etc. So when using a proxy, NEVER send any sensitive information through it!
2. Not all countries consider using a proxy as a legal activity. In the US it is legal, but you have to check the local rules in your country. Otherwise, you may end up with legal problems. For Example, in the New Zealand it may or may not be copyright infringement.
3. Free proxies tend to be unstable. They can be fast today but very slow tomorrow. So you probably have to change them often.
Imagine for looking for legit work-from-home opportunities and finding THIS when you go inside… WOW
Why not make it the very next thing you do?
In no way I advocate illegal or unethical activities. But sometimes you are put into disadvantages just because you travel a lot or happen to live in countries where some websites are banned. For cases like these, I created this tutorial. Hopefully, it helps you solve these problems.
Let me know about your thoughts. Did it help you to set up a proxy to watch videos? Or how did you solve your problem?